Double coconut muffins

I'm one of those people who don't like Pina Colada flavor. I was grossed out by those Easter cakes that had coconut all over them. My dad's favorite cake is a coconut cake, so he always gor one for his birthday. As a kid, I thought it was intensely gross.

But then something changed last year. I started falling for a particular granola that had coconut in it--toasted coconut to be specific. I was horrified with myself. I also stopped loving cooked peppers--a standby for me usually. My tastebuds were CHANGING! Eeeeeeek. More evidence to show I'm getting old and wrinkly.

So I decided to experiment a little with coconut. Toasted coconut, to be specific.

It's a wonder. So deliciously subtle. So crunchy. So toasty. Just make sure to get the unsweetened kind.

And then I saw this recipe for Double Coconut muffins on Smitten Kitchen.

OMG. Ridiculously amazing. I had to bring them into the office so I didn't eat 'em all.

The double coconut comes from both the flakes and the coconut oil. Coconut oil has been vilified and deified, who knows what the real deal is. Everything in moderation, right? The flakes I got at Whole Foods.

Here are the ingredients:

1/2 cup (110 grams) virgin coconut oil
3/4 cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (60 grams) whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup (230 grams) full fat Greek-style yogurt, at room temperature is best
1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature is best
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
3/4 cup (90 grams) sweetened shredded coconut, divided (I did unsweetened flakes, YUM!)


Round 'em up and head over to Smitten for the recipe (I didn't change much, so you can use hers exactly! Also, you can check out the comments. Always helpful.)

Comments

Popular Posts