What to Watch: Big Little Lies


Confession: I never read the book by Lianne Moriarty. Something about the cover made me think I should drop it to the bottom of my library ask pile. I love Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, and the rest of the cast, but I just couldn't find the time to watch Big Little Lies--I thought it was going to be a surface-level examination of privileged. Then my friends started talking about it, my coworkers were into it, and strong, smart women started saying I had to watch it and I decided to test it out.

Well. 2 hours later I was hooked and I wasn't turning back.

I can't decide whether I want there to be a season two, but I dearly love and am interested in these characters, so if there is one, I'm watching. 



This is the follow-up to Sex in the City we've all been waiting for. It is a nuanced, touching portrait of female friendship, relationships, family, and success. It has very strong performances and the pure number of awesome female characters was wonderful--it felt real. I live in a world of women, and this show validated our intricacies and relationships in a way that rarely happens. I was riveted. Also, is it weird that I want to live in Monterey now?

The playlist for this show was absolutely amazing. I recognized some songs and was desperate to know others. Well, thank you Spotify for putting a list together for us. Enjoy it.



Also: This review of the series is excellent. 

Comments

Popular Posts