Weekend Reads: AUGUST

A post shared by Kaitlin McCafferty (@kzmccaff) on

It's AUGUST and it feels good. I love that the humidity seems to be on the downswing, that sweaters are perfect at night on the beach, and that the ocean is finally swimmably warm. August, September, and October are my favorite trio of months. I'm a happy, happy camper. Nikes ad for Federer's win is just so on point. That 8/g... SO GOOD. (via AdWeek) The Best Path to Long-Term Change Is Slow, Simple and Boring (via NYTs)

Jane Jacobs, Georgia O’Keeffe, and the Power of the Marimekko Dress (NYer) Emma Watson interviewed Margaret Atwood (via EW) Salary parity could boost the GDP by quite a bit (via McKinsey) Ruth Bader Ginsberg is still my favorite justice. I'll read anything with her name in the title, but the last 2 paragraphs of this one are on point. (via NYTs) Feminist Children's Books (via Buzzfeed)

Travel size stuff is so much fun (via NYTs) Best grocery store ice cream sandwiches (via CoJ)

Game of Thrones is back (though going to be super short) so I'm going to rewatch every episode to make it feel longer. Sam Tarley / Harry Potter (via Buzzfeed)

The Virgina Wolfe room has a cat and no WiFi (via LitHub) I'm not sure why you'd need a taco holder, but this dinosaur taco holder is pretty on point.

This diagram is pretty cool... and makes me happy (via Kottke)

I liked this piece on collegiate educations--I think it reinforces the way I think about learning, education, and general knowledge as a liberal arts girl. (via NYTs) And I liked this piece on free speech from a Middlebury professor. When I was at Colby I heard Dinesh D'Souza, Ann Coulter, and many others who I wasn't a fan of, but covered or went to for the school newspaper. I think it's important to allow free speech, but also to vigorously challenge people. I agree with this writer that lack of diverse thought is illiberal and leads to groupthink that leads to simplification of thought and lack of deep understanding of topics. (via NYTs)

Bryan Stevenson is one person who's influenced so much in the past few years. He's opened my eyes and helped me see issues and unfairness in a new light.


Comments

Popular Posts