Oh, Julia

I have a bit of a Julia Obsession. Despite the fact that I've never (NOT ONCE) cooked any of her cook books. Still, she's the kind of woman I feel like most women can relate to. She was awkward, but knew it. She was passionate and not afraid of letting that passion show. She was a late bloomer. She was funny and lovely and a gossip and a personality. I hope I'm as lovely of a person as she was some day. If you haven't yet, you should read My Life in Paris by Julia--it's really special and lovely.

Happy 100th Julia! 



Some of my favorites:
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
“If you're afraid of butter, use cream.”
“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”
“Cooking is like love; it should be entered into with abandon or not at all.”  
“I think every woman should have a blowtorch.”  
“Everything in moderation... including moderation.”  
“Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.”  
“Upon reflection, I decided I had three main weaknesses: I was confused (evidenced by a lack of facts, an inability to coordinate my thoughts, and an inability to verbalize my ideas); I had a lack of confidence, which cause me to back down from forcefully stated positions; and I was overly emotional at the expense of careful, 'scientific' though. I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was.”  
“Just speak very loudly and quickly, and state your position with utter conviction, as the French do, and you'll have a marvelous time!”  


Comments

Popular Posts