Mean, green, pesto machine

I'm such a sucker for pesto. I just can't help it. It's easy to make, delish, and easy to store (hell-o freezer of delicious pesto). I often get Kale in my Boston Organics box, and so I'm always keeping my eyes open for kale recipes (while I love kale chips, I'm starting to tire of them...). The other day, I saw a recipe for Kale pesto. What WHAT? I starred that on my google reader and started dreaming of my next BosOrg delivery.

Guess what. It came today!!!


So, I looked at it, and it was some kind of kale called "Red Boar Kale." I googled it, apparently red boar kale is mild. So, therefore, perfect for pesto!

The recipe I tagged sounded a little intense, so I googled around, and got a little direction and just made my own.

I ripped the kale into pieces and tossed the stems out. Yuck! I peeled 5 cloves of garlic (I like garlic). I popped the kale and the garlic into a strainer and poured 5 cups of boiling water over them--it's sort of like reverse blanching! I never have enough ice to do an ice bath, and this makes it a little simpler.

Then, I toasted 1/4 cup of pine nuts.

I tossed all three ingredients into my food processor, added 1/4 cup of grated parm, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. 2 minutes later, I had delicious Kale pesto!


I read that someone puts it on pasta and adds raisins, as kale and raisins go together well. I just might have to try that tomorrow night!!

I'd highly recommend this delish combo! I'd never think of it, but it's beautiful and tasty and healthy (watch that heavy hand with the olive oil...)!

Comments

  1. i can vouch for the yum factor. perhaps if my "kitchen" didn't make nyc galley kitchens look palatial i would even try to make this...oh but probably not b/c i don't cook. case in point. end table in front of oven & microwave on top of stove. oops.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts