What to Watch: Spotlight



I was lucky enough to see Spotlight with my mom over the Thanksgiving break and we both loved it.

The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

I was a little wary because the topic--priests taking advantage of children--could veer into the uncomfortable and graphic. Instead, this movie went in a different direction. It followed the journalists who broke the story and the investigative path that it took to break the story in a very devout, Catholic city like Boston. 

The cast was amazing--Rachel McAdams (mom told me the woman she plays is a contributor on NPR these days) was a great example of a journalist--subtly pushed her subjects for more information, knocked on doors, and dug deep. Brian d'Arcy Jamesas a father with a "treatment center" down the street was wonderful and relatable. Michael Keaton as the leader of Spotlight and also someone who missed the story years before was compelling. Liev Schreiber as the incoming editor who pushed the story was wonderfully aloof, committed, invested. Mark Ruffalo as the outraged, lapsed Catholic was really amazing.

I was a journalism girl growing up--editor of my HS and college newspapers. My mom advised the newspaper at the school where she taught. We're from the Boston area. Prime candidates to see this film--and we loved it. I highly recommend it. 

Comments

Popular Posts