What to Watch: Lion



I've been on a bit of an Oscar bender, friends. Two weeks ago, I went to see Lion with my friend, Mandy. We went to the movie theater on the Common after work. It was raining, which set the somber scene. Mandy brought a whole box of tissues and pretty much used the whole thing.

This movie was excellent--I had heard the news about this true story, but didn't catch all of the details. I couldn't believe what happened to little Saroo. His story is heartbreaking and unbelievable. And, mostly, unforgettable. The setting of the movie was beautiful--India, trains in India, Calcutta, Tazmania, and just beautiful. The little boy who plays young Dev Patel was absolutely amazing. Nicole Kidman is moving. Dev Patel is wonderful. The story is just so moving. I highly highly recommend seeing this--and possibly with a box of tissues at the ready. I was certainly teary. 

Five year old Saroo gets lost on a train which takes him thousands of Kilometers across India, away from home and family. Saroo must learn to survive alone in Kolkata, before ultimately being adopted by an Australian couple. Twenty five years later, armed with only a handful of memories, his unwavering determination, and a revolutionary technology known as Google Earth, he sets out to find his lost family and finally return to his first home.


Comments

Popular Posts