What to Watch: 13th


Mom and I watched 13th on Netflix the weekend before the Oscars, and I was really rooting for it, though I hadn't seen anything else from the category. The documentary weaves together history drawing a line from slavery to Jim Crow to separate but equal to mass incarceration. A lot of the story revolves around things I know as an American history lover. But, the way the dominoes were set up opened my eyes to the reality of the mass incarceration situation. It was profoundly affecting. (My mom even listened to the words of some of the rap and realized that maybe it's not a terrible art form. ;) )

Ava DuVernay, the director, talked to so many interesting people--some who I was surprised to hear from, some who were just perfect--it was so great to hear from Bryan Stevenson, Angela Davis, Newt Gingrich (!?!), and get introduced to thoughtful people I didn't know about before the film. Throughout the movie I was on Twitter following the speakers. 

The one thing I wish they did was put the names of the interviewees and their titles on screen during more of their screen time. It felt like after an introduction I was supposed to remember and there were just so many people that it was tricky.

I learned so very much from this movie--I highly highly recommend it, particularly in today's political climate. We need to focus on criminal justice reform as a country, it is unjust.

Watch this trailer, then stream the movie. You'll learn a LOT.





The 13th Ammendment:

Amendment XIII

Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Comments

Popular Posts