Margin Notes: Seeker




Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.

Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book! It has a weird (read: good) combination of old (samuri, warriors, assassins) and new (modern world, homes on the move, an Asia I don't recognize) that worked well for me. The settings in this book are well done--rich and beautifully portrayed.

The plot is exciting--there was a big missing part of the timeline in the middle of the story that seemed to just be cut out and I wish I saw some of that--I felt displaced in the middle but got back on board by the end. There's some magic which added an element of fun and a sense of displacement in a good way. I wish there had been a little more wonder or awe about the magic--it might be cool to have a non-seeker react to their world in a way more than the guy who's name I can't remember did... he just seemed to silently process.

And, while I liked the characters, none of them were so different or interesting that they were super memorable for me. I was interested while I read the book, but now, a week later, I'm no longer rooting for anyone or rooting for a specific end result. I was almost more interested in the adults stories than the teens. What made them the way they are?! They seem all sorts of crazy. I thought the interplay between groups in the books was interesting.

I'd read the second book in this series.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts