Weekend Reads: Footsteps


Hello, friends. I hope you are well and if you are not that you will soon be.Tomorrow I'm making my first trip to...
Posted by Benjamin Booker on Friday, November 20, 2015


I thought the above post and song were pretty moving this morning. Bob Dylan is on another level. Following the news of the attacks in Paris (and elsewhere) this week has been heartbreaking. How do we deal with such tragedy? I've been turning to things that help me understand what's going on in the world from factual and historical (to ground myself), and emotional standpoints--the news, op-eds, and I started re-watching Band of Brothers this week (it just felt like I needed to remember WWII and the atrocities). All I could think about while watching it was people, humans, are fighting in violent wars around the world right now and it breaks my heart. I don't think there are any simple solutions. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and I don't know who's right, but my instinct is always to go with love, equality without condition, acceptance, and fighting for people who can't fight for themselves. I try to weigh fear with acceptance, tolerance, an education on the issues, and the moral baseline I've built throughout my life. That's the most that we can all do. Then I turn to kindness. I've been trying extra hard this week to be kind and put a little more kindness out into the ether. 

Here are some (mostly) uplifting weekend reads:

Noel Gallagher is a rock star (via Esquire) Speaking of rock stars... this app for people who try to call their exes is hilarious (via HuffPo) And Mary McCartney is exhibiting her photography alongside her mothers. I'd love to see that. (via Vanity Fair)

It's the day we've all been waiting for. The new Adele Album, 25, is here. Here's Vanity Fair's take on each song. James Taylor updated Fire and Rain on Colbert's show with all the things he's seen since he first wrote the song in the 70s hehehe  (via YouTube)

Real WiFi of Baltimore (how do you change your wifi name?! Netgear24 is so unimaginative!!) (via Kottke) 


Table for Three featured RBG and Gloria Steinham. Now that's a table I'd like to sit at. (via NYTs)


Five rising authors play their favorite characters (via NY Magazine) The National Book Awards were announced. (via The Guardian)


The five stages of Ghosting Grief (yes, not getting a reply to a text) is hilarious. (via NYTs) The word of the year is... AN EMOJI?! I mean, I like emojis as much as the next person, but... No. (via Techcrunch)


Another reason to visit Iceland (via NYTs)


An interview with Nancy Meyers' set designer Beth Rubino  (oh how I want to live in the apartment in The Intern or the home in It's complicated, or the Hamptons home in Something's Gotta Give... so great. (via Domaine) And here are inspiring Hollywood women talking about their efforts to get ahead in the biz (via NYTs)

I'm super into oils lately (I love the RMS face oil) and am so intrigued by this list of body oils (via GOOP)

\

Comments

Popular Posts