Weekend Reads: An Odd Friday

A photo posted by Kaitlin McCafferty (@kzmccaff) on

What an odd day. I'm so very excited for what looks to be a beautiful weekend. I have a gorgeous floral arrangement on my desk from a friend and I'm enveloped in the smell of blooming peonies. But, I'm so disconcerted about the vote in the UK about leaving the EU. I can't actually believe people voted to leave, in the face of so many experts, so much intellectual thought about why it was a bad idea, and yet still, people voted out of fear and hate. That makes me incredibly sad and worried about November in the U.S. I'm feeling quite somber as I keep stopping to smell the peonies at my desk. 

All Vacations should be this cool. (via Elle) Best restaurants in Rome (via Eater) Railtrails (bike paths) in the northeast (via Outdoors)

Thoughtful piece: Pulling apart rather than pulling together To observe this was to witness what the novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has called the temptation of “the single story”: to “show a people as one thing, as only one thing, over and over again, and that is what they become.” (via NYTs) UGH, this cartoon is too accurate (via NYer)


I will participate in this debate if my schedule allows PRO. :) (via The Atlantic) 75 best books of the 75 past years, according to Ann Patchett (via Parade)


I love a witty customer service team (via Buzzfeed) And this essay on Father's Day, fathers, and family I found really touching (via NYTs) And this florist is pretty darn great (via Boston.com)


WOW. Last week of Game of Thrones (I still like the Hardhome episode best... and Red Wedding was. WOW. But this one came pretty darn close...). I like this look at how it portrayed battle vs. historical battles and tactics. (via Mashable)


Count me in for this TV show. (via Elle) I like this site. How have I never stumbled on it before?! (via Women in the World / NYTs) A campaign about women helping women. (via HuffPo)

Weird, but intriguing... (via Epicurious) The cooking shows home cooks should binge on (via GQ) A roast chicken gets you halfway to dinner (via Food52) Hehehe (via HuffPo)

Honestly, I couldn't stop laughing at this. I would 100% be the girl in the mask. Note to self: don't try masks on. :)

Comments

Popular Posts