Big Screen: The Theory of Everything

Are you currently planning your weekend? Allow me to suggest something...



  1. Synopsis:
  2. In the 1960s, Cambridge University student and future physicist Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) falls in love with fellow collegian Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones). At 21, Hawking learns that he has motor neuron disease. Despite this -- and with Jane at his side -- he begins an ambitious study of time, of which he has very little left, according to his doctor. He and Jane defy terrible odds and break new ground in the fields of medicine and science, achieving more than either could hope to imagine.
The movie is based on Jane's memoir “Traveling to Infinity: My Life With Stephen”

I really loved this movie. I knew who Stephen Hawking was, I knew he had a debilitating disease but was brilliant, I knew he was a scientist who focused on black holes... but what I didn't know was anything about the woman behind the man, their struggles to survive, how he was given 2 years but is still alive at age 72 today. I won't lie, I cried (you guys must know I'm a crier at this point :)). The story is about love, a marriage, an enduring friendship--things everyone can relate to--is great. There are some cheesy moments, but honestly I didn't mind them. I conned my friend who hates the movies into going with me (she loves math and science and once wrote a paper on Stephen Hawking, ha), and she enjoyed it too. At one point on screen you see the physicists writing out equations on the chalk board and she turned to me and said, "you didn't tell me this was going to have differential equations!!" in a very excited voice. Hahaha. I love my dorky friends. 

Particularly, I thought the acting was excellent. Eddie Redmayne plays such a convincing Stephen Hawking. His smile and personality remain consistent in the face of really tough things (like his diagnosis), his physical manifestation of the disease only amplified his personality. When confined to his wheelchair without many movements left, he still completely projects the persona of Stephen Hawking. I was thoroughly impressed. Felicity Jones who plays Jane Hawking is enchanting. She's subtle. She's strong. She just nails the role. I sympathized with her and rooted for her. She was raising three children as her husband slowly lost his motor functions. Felicity plays the role with quiet strength. She shows much more than she tells you how she feels. The relationship between the two was really impressive and thoughtful. From the beginning scenes where they meet and fall in love, to the scenes when Jane forces Stephen to continue living his live, to their wedding and children's births, to a vacation where Stephen's father booked a home with millions of steps without really thinking. When Jane asks for help and Stephen finally relents. When they make each other laugh and angry and cry. The scene where Stephen basically ends his marriage was heartbreaking for everyone--the audience, Stephen, and Jane. I loved their relationship and found it really well drawn. I can't believe Felicity Jones hasn't been in much else! I can't wait to see the next projects these two get--they're sensational.

I highly recommend this movie! And not just for science nerds (although they'll enjoy it, too). Anyone who loves a good story and great acting would love to spend a couple hours in the dark watching this film. Popcorn optional.

This article about the actress who plays Jane talks about how the story is really about a marriage.

Comments

Popular Posts