Margin Notes: Everything, Everything


Everything, Everything 



My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked this book, but it wasn't my favorite.

I like the main characters--Madeline and Olly.
Madeline has SCID and is stuck inside her home, looking out over the neighbors as her view into the world. She has a nurse, Carla, and completes courses online. Her mom is a doctor and they're best friends. Her mom and dad died in a car accident when she was little.
Olly moves next door and his bedroom is across from Madeline's. They become online friends and fall for each other. Madeline watches as his family falls apart--his dad is an alcoholic and he's an abuser.
I also liked Carla, the nurse. I found Madeline' mom kind of one-dimensional and since everything is from Madeline's perspective, we don't really have insight into any other character.

The story itself is a little off the wall and I didn't really buy into it. She has SCID. (view spoiler)

Overall, a fine read, iust not memorable or one I'd actively recommend.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts