Recipe: Quinoatmeal with apple and walnuts


In my quest to change things up this year, I've tried a few new breakfast ideas. This one, from the Bon Appetite's cleanse, was delicious and easy! It's partially prepared the night before, and then the next morning while you're picking out your outfit, you cook it for 8 minutes and you're good to go. Easy peasy, hearty, healthy, overall a total win. I made a few adjustments, but it's very close to the official recipe.


Quinoatmeal with Apple and WalnutsSlightly adapted from Bon Appetite

Ingredients

SERVINGS: 1 SERVING
1/4 cup red quinoa
1/4 cup steel-cut oats
1 tbsp chopped walnuts

1/2 cup almond milk, plus more for serving
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pinch ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
1/2 apple

Preparation

The night before: rinse quinoa thoroughly and drain.
(I do this by putting the quinoa in a bowl and filling it with water--I usually do a little more quinoa than called for b/c I inevitably loose some in the rinsing process. I then swish the water around for a few minutes, let it settle, and carefully pour the water out. Once the Quinoa starts getting mixed into the water you're disposing of, stop. I then start scooping out the quinoa, draining it on the side of the bowl, and then putting it into the pot. It's not a perfect way to do it, but it seems to work for me!)
Combine oats and quinoa in a medium saucepan and cover with 1 cup boiling water.
Toast your walnuts at 350° until they're fragrant and toasty. I usually do this in a toaster oven, though you can do it on the stove top if you'd like! Then, let them cool completely.

In the morning: bring oats and quinoa to a boil. 
Stir in almond milk, salt, and cinnamon and reduce heat to low. 
Cook, stirring occasionally, until quinoa grains are tender, 8–10 minutes. 
Chop or shred your apple--I use 1/2 and apple, but you could use a whole one if you're in the mood!
Top quinoatmeal with apple, walnuts, and more cinnamon, if desired. Drizzle with almond milk.
Another great mix in is almond butter, peanut butter, or really any nut butter if you want it to be a little heartier.

And voila!




Comments

Popular Posts