Weekend Reads: Learning

Stacks at The Boston Athenaeum, where I recently spent an afternoon and LOVED

I'm feeling like my alter ego "political KZM" is coming out lately. Maybe it's my new commute that allows me to listen to This American Life. Maybe it's the presidential election (that started a full 2 years before the actual election, ugh) and how it's permeating everything and I feel the need to educate myself so I'm not just listening to fake-facts that are made up on the campaign trail (I am obsessed with Politifact, btw). Maybe it's because it's back-to-school and I'm feeling the familiar pull to the classroom. Maybe it's the way I can't read an article about the refugee crisis without crying. It feels like the world is in turmoil and I need to figure out how I feel about things and sit with those thoughts for a bit. As a voter, I feel like it's my responsibility to know these things so I can make educated decisions. Do you ever go through phases like that? Here's to learning and keeping informed on the world around us. Have a wonderful weekend!! XX 

The Myth of Quality Time (via NYTs)

Cute take on the french striped top (via J Crew)


Anthony Bourdaine's world domination (via Mens Journal). Did you ever read Kitchen Confidential?


When you travel to Rome (as one does...) pick up some cooking tips (via NYTs)


I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey, but 50 Nerds of Grey is amazing. (via Mashable)


Made me laugh: Atlantic Ocean excited to move into beach front property (via a friend on Facebook, via the Onion)


Did you watch the Republican debates? The code name question was fun--and Trump and Bush definitely won that one in my opinion for their wit. What's your Secret Service code name? Mine is Sweet Cheeks. (via Mashable) Also, this list of 10 things you might not know about the Constitution was really interesting! Made me want to take a class on the Constitution. 


Mindy Kaling's By the Book "My production company is called Kaling International, and the title card is an illustration of a girl reading a book in bed by flashlight, until her father yells up to her room, “Go to bed!” and she quickly shuts off her light. This must have happened dozens of times when I was growing up, and it’s one of my favorite childhood memories. My parents encouraged reading, but they didn’t anticipate me reading Michael Crichton’s “Sphere” until 2 a.m. on a school night." (via NYTs) Also, her perfectly reasonable request. (via New Yorker)


Umbrella dad is pretty darn awesome.


Some home habits to cultivate to keep your home tidy (I really need to cultivate all of these...) (via Apartment Therapy)


Karlie Kloss and Christy Turlington Burns on their educations and charity work I loved getting a taste of their personalities! (via NYTs)


I didn't realize Steve Buschemi was a Firefighter and that he helped out on 9/11 and after Hurricane Sandy. Cool guy.


500 under 500. Ha. There are all of those 30 under 3 lists and everything, but this takes the cake. (via Adage)


I love these families on bikes! That tandem bike is such a dream :) (via Cup of Jo)


Djokovic vs. Federer, an epic match, and thoughts about why we don't pull for Djokovic (via New Yorker)

Comments

Popular Posts