Weekend Reads: One weekend in Maine

A photo posted by Kaitlin McCafferty (@kzmccaff) on

The above photo was from where we picked up the lobsters--on a dock in York
at Fresh Off the Boat Lobsters. Highly recommended!


I spent last weekend in Cape Neddick, Maine. It's about an hour and a half from Boston, and was the perfect escape. My friends (sisters), grew up in a rambling Maine home with a giant wrap-around porch where their lovely, elegant, kind mom still lives. It's full of bedrooms and hidden nooks and crannies, it has a cozy little sitting area, a powder room that's hidden behind a stair case, a butler's pantry with place settings galore, a big dining room that comfortably sat all 11 of us when we had our lobster dinner, and it's right up the street from a beautiful Maine beach. The sand was soft, the beach was small, and there were pine trees and waves crashing. Since it might be my last beach day this season, I dove into the waves and got my hair wet (even though I had it blown out the evening before!), I pocketed a couple shells. I had coffee on the porch the next morning, and I full-blown-laughed at our evening game of "heads-up" (get the iPhone app, you won't be sorry). It was such a wonderful weekend and reminded me that Maine takes up a huge place in my heart. I'll always feel at home there. Here's hoping this weekend is lovely and restorative in your neck of the woods! 

8 Podcasts (via Earnest Home)

Sundaey/Mondaey made me laugh (via Gemma Correll)


I haven't read a single book on the National Book Award longlist (via Goodreads)


10 movie picks from the Toronto Film Fest (via Rolling Stone)

Area rugs under $300 (The Everygirl)


A bi-annual new literary journal, Freeman's, that looks pretty amazing with heavyweights like Murakami and Erdich and new voices, too (via Vogue)


10 ways to turn a Wasa cracker into lunch. (via The Kitchn)

Just Mercy is going to be a movie!

A quick interview with Nancy Meyers (via Cup of Jo)

7 weekday breakfasts you will (purportedly...) make (via Brooklyn Munch)


Ted Talks about how to solve problems (via NPR)

"We’re all going to die. And we all eat food. Therefore, food must be the culprit." Everything is Bad For You (via NYTs)

The secrets of Craigslist--tips for buyers and sellers (via Apartment Therapy)

My friend Kate wrote a cookbook!

Is this the topic for Serial Season 2? (via Maxim)

How to take the best pictures of the Super Moon Eclipse this weekend!

Books (of the non-digital form) are making a comeback. (via NYTs) Don't forget to support your local independent book shop! My favorite is the Bookshop of Beverly Farms.

This teenage refugee brought his puppy, Rose, along. (via AOL)

Comments

Popular Posts