Golden Globes: Who I wish won


I haven't seen all of these movies, but I've seen some and have some OPINIONS that want to come out.

Movies I've seen are in green, bold is what won, italicized is what I wish won.
Best Drama
My take: This category was the one that made me the most angry. I just was NOT a fan of Boyhood. 
So... I saw Boyhood this summer and thought the concept was so cool! I mean, how ambitious? How interesting? What a cool way to make a movie. But. I didn't like the actual movie itself. I thought the acting was sub par, the plot was eh. Honestly, Ethan Hawke was the only redeemable part of the movie, so I would never pick this as the winner. I wouldn't even recommend seeing it to most people, and those I would, I'd say, see it on demand...
I saw Selma last week and just LOVED it. It was beautiful, the cinematography was great. It was just a stunning portrait of a man and a glimpse of a movement. I would have understood if this won.
Theory of Everything, though, was my favorite. The relationship we saw wax and wane, the actors were so accessible, the story was beautiful. I would have loved to see this move win.

Best Comedy
  • "Birdman"
  • WINNER: "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
  • "Into the Woods"
  • "Pride"
  • "St. Vincent"
My take: I haven't seen most of these, but I do really want to see Birdman and Into the Woods. I can't really comment here, but I thought the Grand Budapest Hotel was well done, quirky, and beautiful cinematography.
Best Director
My take: So, while I didn't love Boyhood, I can see why Linklater should win this category. I think all movies in this category were deserving, so, no complaints here.
Best Actress in a Drama
My take: I loved the book Still Alice, and I can only imagine how amazing Julianne Moore must have been in this. I would have been happy with any of these actors (save Jennifer Aniston, not a fan) winning, but Felicity Jones really stole my heart. I'm dying to see Still Alice, so I'll report back if my opinion changes.
Best Actor in a Drama
  • Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"
  • Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game" (my review)
  • Jake Gyllenhaal, "Nightcrawler"
  • David Oyelowo, "Selma"
  • WINNER: Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything" (my review)
My take: I was REALLY pulling for Eddie Redmayne in this category. I would have understood if David Oyelowo won, but, I was so excited for Eddie. His portrayal was so nuanced and amazing. Totally deserved.
Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy
  • Ralph Fiennes, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
  • WINNER: Michael Keaton, "Birdman"
  • Bill Murray, "St. Vincent"
  • Joaquin Phoenix, "Inherent Vice"
  • Christoph Waltz, "Big Eyes"
My take: Haven't seen enough here to say, but I do want to see Inherent Vice and Big Eyes...
Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy
  • WINNER: Amy Adams, "Big Eyes"
  • Emily Blunt, "Into the Woods"
  • Helen Mirren, "The Hundred-Foot Journey"
  • Julianne Moore, "Map to the Stars"
  • Quvenzhané Wallis, "Annie"
My take: I haven't seen any of these!
Best Supporting Actress
  • WINNER: Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
  • Jessica Chastain, "A Most Violent Year"
  • Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"  (my review)
  • Emma Stone, "Birdman"
  • Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"
My take: Honestly. I was kind of just rooting against Patricia Arquette. Keira Knightly was awesome in the Imitation Game, and like 100Xs better than Patricia, who played the same character she has played in everything I've ever seen her in. Single mom who is struggling. She has a singular note and I didn't enjoy it. Seeing her play against Ethan Hawke I thought just exacerbated her poor skills, but apparently, no one agrees with me. Sigh. Was not a fan.
Best Supporting Actor
  • Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
  • Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
  • Edward Norton, "Birdman"
  • Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"
  • WINNER: J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"
My take: Dying to see Birdman, Whiplash, and even The Judge, but I can't have an opinion here.
Best Screenplay
My take: I liked Gone Girl and Imitation Game here. Both were smart and thoughtful, while I thought TGBH was a little too perfect. We all know how I feel about Boyhood at this point.
Best Foreign Language Film
  • "Force Majeure Turist," Sweden
  • "Gett: The Trial of Viviane Ansalem Gett," Israel
  • "Ida," Poland/Denmark
  • WINNER: "Leviathan," Russia
  • "Tangerines Mandariinid," Estonia
Best Animated Feature
  • "Big Hero 6"
  • "The Book of Life"
  • "The Boxtrolls"
  • WINNER: "How to Train Your Dragon 2"
  • "The Lego Movie"
Best Original Song
  • "Big Eyes" from "Big Eyes" music and lyrics by Lana Del Rey
  • WINNER: "Glory" from "Selma," Music and lyrics by John Legend and Common
  • "Mercy Is" from "Noah," Music and lyrics by Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye
  • "Opportunity" from "Annie," Music and lyrics by Greg Kurstin, Sia Furler, Will Gluck
  • "Yellow Flicker Beat" from "The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1," Music and lyrics by Lorde
My take: I loved the song Glory, so I'm happy. But I haven't seen the others so it's perhaps not fair.
Best Score
TELEVISION
Best TV Comedy or Musical
  • "Girls"
  • "Jane the Virgin"
  • "Orange Is the New Black"
  • "Silicon Valley"
  • WINNER: "Transparent"
Best TV Drama
  • WINNER: "The Affair"
  • "Downton Abbey"
  • "Game of Thrones"
  • "The Good Wife"
  • "House of Cards"
My take: I just started watching The Affair and it's good, but I think I'd give this to GOT or House of Cards...
Best Actress in a TV Drama
  • Claire Danes, "Homeland"
  • Viola Davis, "How to Get Away with Murder"
  • Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
  • WINNER: Ruth Wilson, "The Affair"
  • Robin Wright, "House of Cards"
My take: I would have given this to Robin Wright. She is STONE COLD is HOC. Claire Danes also killed it this year--that scene where she's tripping, whoa. And Julianna Margulies is always unreal. Ruth Wilson is good, but I put her a bit further on my list.
Best Actor in a TV Drama
    • Clive Owen, "The Knick"
    • Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"
    • WINNER: Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"
    • James Spader, "The Blacklist"
    • Dominic West, "The Affair"
    My take: totally agree. Kevin Spacey is unreal in House of Cards. Well deserved
    Best Actress in a TV Comedy
    • Lena Dunham, "Girls"
    • Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
    • Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
    • WINNER: Gina Rodriguez, "Jane the Virgin"
    • Taylor Schilling, "Orange Is the New Black"
    My take: I haven't seen most of these, so I'm too out of the loop.
    Best Actor in a TV Comedy
    • Louis CK, "Louie"
    • Don Cheadle, "House of Lies"
    • Ricky Gervais, "Derek"
    • William H. Macy, "Shameless"
    • WINNER: Jeffrey Tambor, "Transparent"
    Best Miniseries or TV Movie
    • WINNER: "Fargo"
    • "The Missing"
    • "The Normal Heart"
    • "Olive Kitteridge"
    • "True Detective"
    My take:  I would have loved to see Normal Heart of True Detective take it...
    Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie
    • WINNER: Maggie Gyllenhaal, "The Honorable Woman"
    • Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Freak Show"
    • Frances McDormand, "Olive Kitteridge"
    • Frances O'Connor, "The Missing"
    • Allison Tolman, "Fargo"
    Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie
    • Martin Freeman, "Fargo"
    • Woody Harrelson, "True Detective"
    • Matthew McConaughey, "True Detective"
    • Mark Ruffalo, "The Normal Heart"
    • WINNER: Billy Bob Thornton, "Fargo"
    My take:Mark Ruffalo was really good and heartbreaking in the Normal Heart. Either guy from True Detective would have been a great choice, maybe Woody above Matthew this year, but either would have been great, too.
    Best Supporting Actress in a TV Show, Miniseries or TV Movie
    • Uzo Aduba, "Orange Is the New Black"
    • Kathy Bates, "American Horror Story: Freak Show"
    • WINNER: Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey"
    • Allison Janney, "Mom"
    • Michelle Monaghan, "True Detective"
    My take: As a Downton fan, I'm really glad Joanne Froggatt got it, but I loved Michelle Monaghan in True Detective. I would have given it to her.
    Best Supporting Actor in a TV Show, Miniseries or TV Movie
    • WINNER: Matt Bomer, "The Normal Heart"
    • Alan Cumming, "The Good Wife"
    • Colin Hanks, "Fargo"
    • Bill Murray, "Olive Kitteridge"
    • Jon Voight, "Ray Donovan"

      My take:
      Alan Cumming has been killing it for YEARS on The Good Wife. He deserved it this year, I thought.

Comments

Popular Posts